On Monday, August 22, DynCorp International employees participated in a “Give the Gift of Life” blood drive, operated by Inova Blood Donor Services.
A blood mobile was on site at DI headquarters in Falls Church, VA, as DI employees contributed to the largest hospital-based blood-collection operation in the country.
Those who participated in the donor screening process also received a coupon for a free pint of Baskin-Robbins ice cream as part of the “Pint for a Pint” program.
The American Red Cross
The Red Cross estimates more than 500,000 blood donations will be needed in August to help U.S. hospital patients recover. The Red Cross provides blood products to nearly 3,000 hospitals and transfusion centers across the country.
Facts about blood needs, according to the American Red Cross
- Every two seconds someone in the U.S. needs blood.
- More than 38,000 blood donations are needed every day.
- A total of 30 million blood components are transfused each year in the U.S. (2006).
- A single car accident victim can require as many as 100 pints of blood.
Facts about the blood supply
- Number of blood donations collected in the U.S. in a year: 16 million (2006).
- Number of blood donors in the U.S. in a year: 9.5 million (2006).
- Number of patients who receive blood in the U.S. in a year: 5 million (2006).
- Share of the U.S. population eligible to give blood: Less than 38 percent.
About Inova Blood Donor Services
Inova Blood Donor Services supplies lifesaving blood and blood products to 15 different hospitals in Northern Virginia and the Washington, D.C., metro area. They also work with national and international redistribution organizations to get blood where it’s needed most.
Since 1965, donors have helped Inova provide a safe and adequate blood supply for patients in the community. However, the demand for blood is increasing while blood donation levels are decreasing.
The DynCorp International values that are applied daily to job performance – We Serve, We Care, We Empower, We Perform, We Do the Right Thing – are also values that are carried into the communities where DI lives and works. Employing tens of thousands of people around the world provides DI with unique opportunities to give back through philanthropic donations, local training programs and hands-on volunteer work.